Wednesday 18 August, 2010

Visa Troubles

Singapore:

The first step of my Singapore visa is done - it consisted of an online application to determine eligibility. I'm now waiting for them to get back to me about whether I'm eligible. The visa I'm applying for is actually pretty interesting, and not a common category of visas I don't think. It's a visa that lets "foreigners" with a tertiary degree stay in Singapore for a year and look for a job. I know a lot of countries have this sort of visa for students who've studied inside the country, but this one applies to people like me as well - who've studied anywhere pretty much.

Canada:

My Canada visa situation is a little more messed up. Most people apply for the Post Graduation Work Permit (no strings attached work permit valid for 3 years after you graduate) while they are still in Canada, as soon as they graduate. I'm realizing now that I'm a complete idiot for not having done the same - things were really hectic towards the end, and even after my last class ever at York was done, I was working up till the last 2 days in Canada and just figured that I would go home, take a break, and do the visa stuff later.

Well it turns out that you can't apply online for the visa unless you are in the country. Ok that's still manageable, but even the paper application seems to assume that you're in Canada. The only options for postal addresses, where they will send you your official permit, seem to be addresses in Canada. But if my permit is in Canada, then I won't be able to get an entry visa that's valid for at least 3 years, because I won't have any basis on which to get this.

Messed. Must call Canadian Immigration and find out about this :S

1 comment:

Srishti said...

So apparently I can't even CALL Canadian Immigration if I'm not in Canada!

The international student advisor at York says "in general you are not supposed to apply for this visa from outside canada" but can apply online if you can access the site.

This doesn't help at all.