Monday 2 August, 2010

Recent Hard Rock Gig

The singing at Hard Rock thing actually happened extremely spontaneously. I was with an old friend of mine and his girlfriend, just chilling, on my birthday and was generally excited to hear about their band, which I'd heard has been doing very well in Delhi, and across India in fact, in the last couple of years. Mostly as a joke I slipped it in somewhere that I'm in Delhi for a while and I miss singing, so if they ever need anyone to sing different parts to their current songs, I'm fully available to do that. They're also quite chilled so they were like ya ya come.

So I started going for practices and the gig was about 3 weeks later (last Thursday). I have to say that it was just so great doing music on stage, after so long. The last time I did that was at the ICA Formal at York, but when you do Rock music to Desi crowd at York, except for the cool Karachi rocker kids, almost everyone else looks at you blankly. So Hard Rock was totally different.

My singing, I realised, was extremely rusty, and generally not up to the mark. On a normal day I would never sing a wrong harmony or miss a note, but at Hard Rock I managed to do both. I was definitely under practiced though since we had only one mic for vocals in almost ALL our practices. To make matters worse, I really am more than a little deaf in one ear, so the feedback monitors just weren't loud enough for me and I was singing through muscle memory more than by ear, which is obviously less effective.

Usually I would be very upset about making ANY mistakes, but the whole night was so much fun, and so different from what Delhi life has been like so far - so much closer to what I'd like my actual life to be - that I couldn't care less :-)

Stage at HRC, Delhi. The Drummer and Tabla player can't be seen
I met many beautiful people on Thursday, as you're bound to at any 'event' in Delhi. Too bad most were with their significant others or *WAY* too young.

No comments: