Wednesday 4 August, 2010

Singapore

I've written to Dr. So (professor at NUS) telling her that I'm on board, and asking for some more details. I've also broken it to my mom, who was hoping I'd be around to help her get through the stress of my brother's college application process.

If all goes well, I should be out of here by the 25th of this month. I arrived at that date quite arbitrarily though so I could leave much earlier or much later too :P

Fire Exit gig has been preponed to the 16th. Preponed is not a word in Standard English (SE) but is accepted in Indian English (IE), did you know?

Apart from the research study with Dr. So, other Singapore plans include:

- Learning Sign Language - Primary sign language used in Singapore is Signing Exact English (SEE 2). Since I'll be doing research in gestures anyway, this is a great time to learn a sign language, and I have been wanting to for a while. This should be a great asset in the long run because a lot of the new insights in language development research are coming from studying deaf children and communities.

Signing Exact English (SEE 2) Manual Alphabet

- Volunteering at the Autism Association - Again, a population I will invariably work with at some point. I actually tried volunteering with them when I was living in Singapore but that didn't work out, and then when I moved back to Delhi, I tried with the association here too, and that didn't work out either. 3rd time lucky?

- Get a diving license - Malaysia or Thailand are as good a place as any to get a scuba-diving license - cheaper than most of the world and only about 5-7 days for the beginners course. I CAN'T WAIT!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think preponed is now in the Oxford dictionary, though it most certainly did come from Indian English.

Anonymous said...

You need to "approve" comments?