Wednesday 11 August, 2010

Facebook

I've heard people bash facebook for all kinds of things, and have had long discussions about it with everyone from the average techie guy who thinks he's too cool for it, to PhD students studying social media. Overall, I think facbebook is fantastic, and I mean really - if you're going to add every drunk fuck you met at every party at which you were drunk, AND be careless about your list settings... you kind of deserve to feel 'unsafe' and 'violated'.

One thing I do see as a big negative about facebook is the fact that if you HAVE a facebook account, and you aren't regularly using it, it can massively screw up your relationships and your reputation/image.
There's all the stuff that the South Park episode talked about:

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SgkfghupFE
You've got zero friends
















But also stuff like, getting tagged in dangerous or embarassing pictures (when, for example, you have family on facebook, or ex teachers, or judgemental people with a big mouth or whatever), and having people say stuff on your wall that they don't realise you wanted to keep private. All in all it's very hectic.. and you have to find the right balance between not being flooded with facebook emails about activity you don't care about, and making sure that you find out when something potentially damaging is going on.

Most people with a life, in my experience, neither manage their lists properly, since it is quite tedious to do that, nor do they manage the emails they get so that they know to run back and detag pictures and delete comments.

And then there's me.

Since I've been back to Delhi, I've spent about all day on facebook, actively or passively... and have become almost addicted to the red notification thingy. It's my only socializing when I'm sitting at home, which has been TOO much of the time - but obviously it's driven me quite batty. Last night I got really fed up so I decided to just deactivate my account. Good Riddance. I'll get back on it when I'm normal and when I can say I have a life and some real relationships!

No comments: